Saturday, July 21, 2012

CONVERTING URBAN ALLEYS INTO PUBLIC SPACES

I get really excited about the possibility of places -- and one of my latest obsessions is urban alleys. In downtown Austin, these are blighted, deplorable places -- an underutilized resource in a densifying city. Through my work on Austin's Downtown Commission, I am hoping we can set up a workgroup to figure out ways to convert these spaces into vibrant public places for folks of all ages.  Imagine all the possibilities for these alleys in downtown Austin.  Ideas?

alleys as public spaces
I found tons of inspirational examples of fabulous urban alleys online today, which I have added to two Pinterest boards (I just discovered Pinterest this week; A Pinterest Follow Me button is also now up on my blog home page).

One of the best alley conversion projects in the country has to be The Alley Art Project project.  Their mission is to "reclaim alleys for pedestrians, making the neighborhood more lively and sustainable." Check out their website to read about all the cool stuff they are doing.


Pin It

1 comment:

  1. Lets get some public bathrooms for starters like they do in europe with tokens for the homeless.

    ReplyDelete