Thursday, September 19, 2013

Austin Museum Day: Exploring Austin's Treasures with Kids

Austin's Bob Bullock Museum
This Sunday, September 22nd, is Austin's Annual Museum Day, a free, citywide discovery of museums in the area. I pulled up the list of participating museums and realized I had not heard of half of these museums. It looks like some are open just for this special day and are otherwise closed to the public.

Here are some of our family's favorite museums to visit with kids:

  • Texas Memorial Museum (this museum always reminds me of the 1970s; maybe it is all those dioramas lining the walls; it isn't the American Museum of Natural History or the Exploratorium by any means, but it's our only science museum for kids in the city so we'll keep happily visiting it)
  • Blanton Museum (offers several wonderful kids' programs)
  • Children's Museum (soon to re-open as the Thinkery)
  • Umlauf Sculpture Garden
  • Mexic-Arte Museum
  • LBJ Presidential Library (actually, I have been there but have not taken my kids yet; it is on our list!)
  • Lady Bird Wildflower Center
  • The Contemporary Austin

And here are some museums on the Museum Day list that I have never heard of before but am interested in checking out on Sunday with my kids:



2013 Austin Museum Day: List of Participating Museums








Pin It

No comments:

Post a Comment