Saturday, June 9, 2012

CANNONS AND PUPPETS

Today we ventured outside of San Sebastian into the surrounding Basque countryside and a few nearby towns. My kids' favorite parts of the day: cannons and puppets.


This photo of a 400-year-old cannon is a reminder that it doesn't take a traditional playscape to engage children in play.




My kids could have played on the cannon for a lot longer, but I had to pull them away to lunch, where this freshly caught fish was served to us...




... and then eaten:















On our travels today, we also stumbled across one of the most amazing child-oriented museums I have ever visited: The International Puppet Museum in Tolosa, Spain. An enchanting and incredibly engaging museum -- located in a town with a population of just 20,000 people. Fabulous place for both children and adults. (Unfortunately, I forgot to bring my camera into the museum with us, and the pictures I took on my phone did not turn out so well -- so I wasn't able to capture much of what we saw). The museum reminded me of how magical puppets are for children. We came across lots of puppet theaters in Paris parks several years ago -- the theaters are widely popular there --  but we don't otherwise come across puppets that often in public places.  We need more puppets in our lives!




Pin It

No comments:

Post a Comment