Tuesday, June 5, 2012

WHAT MAKES A GREAT CITY, PART II

My family loves a city that includes lots of places for the children to run around (we have two very rambunctious boys), that engages their imagination, and nurtures creative play. We have founds lots of this in Barcelona and San Sebastian.


I was very pleased to see playgrounds like this in Barcelona built on a sidewalk in a major thoroughfare of the city -- filled with children and their parents. Imagine something like this off of Congress Avenue (I shot this picture while we were passing by on our bikes--wish I had gotten a close up):



 This playground is in San Sebastian, just 3 blocks
from our apartment and in the center of the city.































My kids have especially loved the street performers we have seen throughout both cities -- the musicians, the dancers, jugglers, and the infamous "frozen statue" performance artists. In my 20s and 30s I might have rolled my eyes when I saw the frozen statue artists, but my kids love these performers -- and, seeing them through their eyes, I have grown to love them also.  It would be delightful to see more street performers at home.


Pin It

No comments:

Post a Comment